Wednesday 27 April 2011

Florence the great. Part 1


"Beauty awakens the soul to act" - Dante Alighieri
Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I lived there for 2 years while getting my degree. They were unforgettable two years. Florence breathes history, beauty, romance, it is the mother of Renaissance and home of best artists, architects and poets that ever lived. Leonardo da Vinci, who for me was the most diversely talented person ever to have lived; Michelangelo, who's work will never stop to amaze and touch in so many different ways; Sandro Botticelli, I have to admit when I saw "The birth of Venus" (the original) in Uffizi it took my breath away; Dante Alighieri and of course Filippo Brunelleschi. Brunelleschi was the architect who built Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore - Duomo.
My first night in Florence was the night I first saw Duomo. My flight landed at 9-10pm and by the time I got to my hotel it was quite late. I was restless and so I went for a walk. I did not know that next turn I take will take me to Duomo. I will never forget the moment I saw it. Beautifully lit at night, it made such an impression on me that I almost cried (maybe I did a little..). It was truly majestic. I have never seen anything so stunning. Obviously after a few months and passing it every day you simply even forget to look up, but I miss it so much now that I can only see it on the pictures.
I can keep on talking forever about Florence, but then instead of this being a design blog it will become Florence tour guide ;)
Back to design. These Riva Lofts on the Arno river in Florence are really a jewel if you don't want to stay in the center. They are about twenty minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi.






It's really a perfect spot for people who want to go to Florence but stay out of the very busy city center and enjoy the interior of their hotel.

Good night. I hope I dream of Firenze tonight and I wish you sweet dreams about your favourite city :)
Yours, KB

No comments:

Post a Comment